Ammanford railway station serves the town of Ammanford in Carmarthenshire, Wales. Situated 12 miles (19.4 km) north of Swansea on today's Heart of Wales Line, the station was first opened in 1841 as a temporary terminus of the Llanelly Railway's line to Llandeilo (and branch to Cross Hands), making it one of the country's earliest railway stations.
Originally called Duffryn, and then Tirydail, the station underwent a number of subsequent name changes (see the panel on the right) before being renamed Ammanford and Tirydail in 1960 following the closure in 1958 of Ammanford station on the Amman Valley branch railway. In 1973 Ammanford and Tirydail was renamed yet again: this time to plain Ammanford.
The station stands at street level about 800 m northwest of Ammanford town centre on Station Road (formerly Dyffryn Road). Old Ordnance Survey maps show that at some point between 1891 and 1906 the passenger platform was moved from the north to the south side of the Dyffryn Road level crossing. As with most of the stations on the Heart of Wales Line, the original rather elegant station buildings and signal box have been demolished and now the only structures are a platform and shelter.
(Links open in a new window)
|Month||Total Crime||Antisocial Behaviour||Theft from Person||Bicycle Theft||Shoplifting||Robbery||Burglary||Other Theft||Vehicle Crime||Drugs||Weapons||Public Order||Criminal Damage & Arson||Violent Crime||Other Crime|