Chapel-en-le-Frith railway station (formerly Chapel-en-le-Frith South) serves the town of Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, England. It is 20 1⁄2 miles (33.0 kilometres) south east of Manchester Piccadilly on the Buxton Line from Manchester. It was built in 1863 for the LNWR on its line from Whaley Bridge to Buxton. as an extension of the Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge Railway. In 1867, the Midland Railway built a station (known as Chapel-en-le-Frith Central) on the Sheffield and Midland Railway Companies' Committee line from Millers Dale to Chinley. The town therefore had a main line connection from Manchester to London featuring expresses such as the 'Palatine' and the 'Peaks'. However, with the closure of the ex Midland route from Chinley to Rowsley to passenger traffic in 1967, Central station was closed. The Midland line is still in situ and used for freight to and from Peak Forest. The station is one of very few to retain its walkway to cross between platforms, most stations having had footbridges installed. The prime reason for this is the requirement to provide a vehicular crossing for those houses further up the hill which have no reliable alternative, as the very rough alternative is blocked for days during snow, and even when open requires a considerable extra distance to be covered to reach Chapel Town Centre. A footbridge would therefore not be used. The former station master's house was used as a restaurant called "Brief Encounter" but has in the middle of being refubished and is being used as a band room for Chapel-en-le-Frith Town Band.
(Links open in a new window)
|Month||Total Crime||Antisocial Behaviour||Theft from Person||Bicycle Theft||Shoplifting||Robbery||Burglary||Other Theft||Vehicle Crime||Drugs||Weapons||Public Order||Criminal Damage & Arson||Violent Crime||Other Crime|