Greenock West railway station is a station in Greenock, Scotland, located on the Inverclyde Line which runs from Gourock to Glasgow Central. The route is currently operated by Abellio ScotRail under the auspices of Strathclyde Partnership for Transport. Each service to and from Glasgow on the Inverclyde Line stops at this station.
The Caledonian Railway was granted permission in 1882 to build the station, featuring "a very neat and substantial stone building in Renaissance style" at street level, with two "large and handsome" doorways from the booking hall onto Inverkip Street. The building also provided a stationmaster's room, a general waiting room and two first class waiting rooms; one for ladies and one for gentlemen. The line opened in June 1889.
It is a staffed station with two platforms; the eastbound platform to Glasgow is reached via a footbridge over the tracks. The tracks are located below street level, with a tunnel to the west leading to Fort Matilda, and to the east a cutting then a tunnel takes the line to Greenock Central. The main A78 road bridge which takes Inverkip Street over the station platforms had to be rebuilt and was closed to traffic for several years with a diversion in operation. As of September 2006 the bridge is again in operation, with a revised traffic system so that it takes southbound traffic only.
A busy commuter station, services at Greenock West run from around 6 am until approximately 11:30 pm; a more reduced, limited service operates on Sundays. It is near to the main Finnart Campus of the James Watt College stands nearby to the west of the station, so a large number of students use Greenock West.
(Links open in a new window)
|Month||Total Crime||Antisocial Behaviour||Theft from Person||Bicycle Theft||Shoplifting||Robbery||Burglary||Other Theft||Vehicle Crime||Drugs||Weapons||Public Order||Criminal Damage & Arson||Violent Crime||Other Crime|