Gowerton railway station (originally Gower Road and later Gowerton North) serves the village of Gowerton, Wales. It is located at street level at the end of Station Road in Gowerton. Since it is unmanned, tickets need to be bought in advance or on the train. Gowerton is served approximately every two hours by Arriva Trains Wales services heading westbound towards Llanelli, (where they continue to either West Wales or to Shrewsbury via the Heart of Wales Line; and eastbound towards Swansea. The station was originally a request stop, but on 9 September 2013, it was no longer listed as one. The station originally had two platforms, sited on the section between Cockett station and Duffryn, but was singled in 1986 as an economy measure. Network Rail planned to re-double the section of railway through this station and re-instate the disused east-bound platform in May 2012. Work commenced in March 2013 and was completed a month later. This will increase the capacity of this section of line and allow more trains to stop at this station. The re-doubling work was completed in July 2013 with the disused platform brought back into use. This resulted in an additional 95 services stopping at Gowerton every week. Gowerton station was opened as Gower Road by the South Wales Railway on Tuesday 1 August 1854 It was later renamed Gowerton, following a request to the railway company by the parish vestry, and from 1950 became known as Gowerton North to distinguish it from the Gowerton South railway station which served the now closed Pontarddulais to Swansea Victoria section of the Heart of Wales Line until 1964.
(Links open in a new window)
|Month||Total Crime||Antisocial Behaviour||Theft from Person||Bicycle Theft||Shoplifting||Robbery||Burglary||Other Theft||Vehicle Crime||Drugs||Weapons||Public Order||Criminal Damage & Arson||Violent Crime||Other Crime|