Inverkip railway station is a railway station serving the village of Inverkip, Inverclyde, Scotland. The station is managed by Abellio ScotRail and is on the Inverclyde Line, 28¾ miles (46 km) west of Glasgow Central. The embankment is all that remains of the former Down platform. All of the station buildings have now been removed and replaced with a bus shelter. The flats in the background (known as The Kyles) are built in what was the station goods yard. There was also a coal yard located in this area. Inverkip also had its own signal box, located at the end of the down platform. In the 1950`s and 1960`s, an old railway carriage was located in the goods yard and used as a camping coach. At the further end of the yard area, where the housing development is located, are the parapets of a metal overbridge, presumably used to move goods across from the up platform. The station, built in 1867, was substantially modified in 2012 to accommodate the erection of a footbridge with an integrated lift. This structure was required as a planning permission clause related to the construction of a new housing estate in the fields across the line from the station. It was not possible to fit a ramped bridge in the available space, hence the need for a lift, making Inverkip one of the few unmanned stations in Scotland to have a lift (other examples can be found at Prestwick International Airport and Edinburgh Park). The shelter was replaced and relocated further west and the steps from station Avenue were relocated slightly further east. Temporary steps were put in place during the year-long construction project. The lift serves the platform level and the footbridge level. Strangely, it is necessary to exit the station in order to access the steps to the footbridge since there are no steps directly from the platform to the bridge. There are no steps to the bridge on the other side of the line due to the steep embankment there. Groundworks for the footbridge started in 2011, with the main span being lifted into place in the early hours of 15 July 2012. The bridge was formally opened in December 2012. A Park & Ride car park with 26 spaces was also opened across the line from the station at that time.
(Links open in a new window)
|Month||Total Crime||Antisocial Behaviour||Theft from Person||Bicycle Theft||Shoplifting||Robbery||Burglary||Other Theft||Vehicle Crime||Drugs||Weapons||Public Order||Criminal Damage & Arson||Violent Crime||Other Crime|