Lower Thorn Level Crossing
Castle Cary, Somerset
Lower Thorn Level Crossing Location Map
Lower Thorn Level Crossing Streetview
Maps are by Google and Open Streetmap. Streetview is by Google. See credits and copyright
for more detail.
Latitude: 51.0604 / 51°3'37"N
Longitude: -2.5499 / 2°32'59"W
OS Eastings: 361560
OS Northings: 129146
OS Grid: ST615291
Mapcode National: GBR MS.FHSP
Mapcode Global: FRA 56K9.SJK
We don't yet have any user-contributed photos of Lower Thorn Level Crossing.
Add a photo
- Name: Lower Thorn
- Crossing Type: Public Footpath Crossing
- Location: Castle Cary CP
- Postcode: BA227BD
- Route: Wessex
- ELR: WEY
- Distance: 132 miles 48 chains
- Individual risk rating:
- Collective risk rating:
11 (Very Low)
- Last assessment: August 2015
- Next assessment due: November 2018
- Types of trains: Passenger & Freight
- Line speed: 75 mph
- Trains per day: 25
- Infrequent Pedestrian Use
- Misuse history: Nil incidents in year prior to assessment date (Aug-2015), - Nil incidents since.
- Near-miss history: Nil incidents in year prior to assessment date (Aug-2015), - Nil incidents since.
- Accident history: Nil incidents in year prior to assessment date (Aug-2015), - Nil incidents since.
- Key risk factors:
- Sun Glare
- Deliberate misuse or user error
- Current protection arrangements:
District Council Ward: Cary
Civil Parish/community: Castle Cary
County Council Electoral Division: Castle Cary
County Council: Somerset County Council
UK Parliament Constituency: Somerton and Frome
District Council: South Somerset District Council
European Region: South West
- Individual Risk Rating is the risk to invidual users of the crossing.
It is presented as a single letter, with A being the highest risk and M being the lowest.
- Collective Risk Rating is the overall risk of any incident involving any person or vehicle on the crossing,
including train staff and passengers as well as users of the crossing. It is presented as a number, with 1 being the highest risk and 13 being
the lowest. This is the most important rating when prioritising safety measures at level crossings.