Chinley railway station serves the village of Chinley in Derbyshire, England. The station is 17 1⁄2 miles (28.2 km) south east of Manchester Piccadilly. The original station was built in 1867 by the Midland Railway on the extension of its Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway which became its main line to London from Manchester. Originally, the Midland had planned to extend through Buxton, but the LNWR already had a line, so the Midland built a line through Chinley and Buxworth to join the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway at New Mills, in an association which became known as the Sheffield and Midland Railway Companies' Committee. From Millers Dale the line crossed the Black Brook valley at Chapel Milton. This became a double viaduct when the Dore and Chinley line was built in 1894, with a north curve forming a triangular junction. In 1902 a new station was built at its present position when the line through Disley Tunnel to Heaton Mersey was built. It also became the terminus of the Dore and Chinley line instead of Buxton. The old station buildings were dismantled and re-erected on Maynestone Road as a private house. By 1902 Chinley had become an important junction, between Manchester, London and Sheffield, with five through platforms and one bay. With the closure of the line to the south in 1967-8 (local passenger services to Buxton (Midland) and Matlock ended on 6 March 1967 and the route closed to passengers the following year), Chinley lost its importance and is now a single 'island' platform on the Trans-Pennine line between Sheffield and Manchester.
(Links open in a new window)
|Month||Total Crime||Antisocial Behaviour||Theft from Person||Bicycle Theft||Shoplifting||Robbery||Burglary||Other Theft||Vehicle Crime||Drugs||Weapons||Public Order||Criminal Damage & Arson||Violent Crime||Other Crime|